This iconic 4-day trek is an adventurous trek through rugged jungle-clad mountains from the east to west coast of Malekula. Experience ‘manbush’ living first-hand and the ancient practices of custom culture visiting small remote villages along the way. A trek that will both challenge and educate. Finalist Vanuatu Tourism Awards 2016 – Best Traditional Kastom Tour.
Fitness Rating: Strenuous (high level of fitness is required)
Day 1: Norsup/Lakatoro – Unua by truck (2 hours), then Unua – Lanvo (5 hour walk approx.)
From your accommodation in Norsup you will travel via truck down the east coast to the start of your guided walk at Unua. You hear stories of custom life as you climb up the ridge to picturesque elevation where you spend the night at a local local house.
Day 2: Lanvo – Mt Laimbele (6 hour walk approx.)
After your days walk through beautiful forest and up in to the mountain. You camp out in a bush shelter on top of Mt Laimbele, where you may catch sight of the awesome glow from the volcanoes of Ambrym.
Day 3: Mt Laimbele – Lebongbong (6 hour walk approx.)
Keep an eye out for the birdlife, and you may even spot some wild cattle. You arrive at your guesthouse in Lebongbong in the afternoon ready to enjoy some special Manbush food (in season) –Nesowong is a dish made from bush banana, water taro and coconut milk.
Day 4: Lebongbong – Lawa (8 hour walk approx.)
Highlights of the day include visits to a cave, nakamal and waterfall. Big banyan trees feature along the trail as well. You complete your trek at the village of Lawa. You will stay in a local guesthouse in the village for the night where you can swim, wash and relax on the white and grey stone beach.
Fitness/Health Requirements: Parts of the trail pass through rugged bush country, through rivers, and you climb to a height of 860m. You must be of adequate fitness to complete the 4 days of trekking – if in doubt, consult your doctor. Children must be at least 14 years of age.
Per Person: 42,500 VT (Min 2 people)
Solo Price: 56,500 VT
Includes truck transfer from Norsup/Lakatoro to Unua, tour guide (one per 4 tourists), porter (one per tourist), all food, jungle and village accommodation, and accommodation at a local guest house in Lawa on the West Coast.
- Fly out from South West Bay on the scheduled Monday flight with Air Vanuatu or Tuesday with Bel Air. Boat from Lawa to South West Bay Airport is around 2000 VT.
- Or pay 22,000 VT return transport per group (up to 8 people) by boat and truck from Lawa to Lambubu and Lambubu to Norsup Airport. (3 hours travel).
You will be sleeping on the ground in handmade bush hut for one of the nights. If it is wet you may get damp. This is real manbush style! If however you want more comfort, you are welcome to bring your own tent and bedroll, but you may need to carry this.
What to Bring
- Wear comfortable walking clothes for a tropical climate and strong, comfortable footwear (athletic trainer shoes are ideal).
- A small day pack containing insect repellent, sunscreen cream, personal medication and first aid supplies, 3 litre water bottle full with water at the start to refill on the trail, and toilet paper.
- A camera and snacks are also suggested.
- One large backpack between two for the porter to carry, with plastic bags containing one set of spare clothes (and a warm top in April-October), spare footwear, spare socks and underwear, towel, silk sleeping bag liner or double bed sheet (replace with warm sleeping bag in April-October), torch and spare batteries, toiletries, and spare toilet paper.
- Ladies, please bring a dress or sarong to wear over your shorts in more remote villages.
- The food on the trail is all local including bush tea, but if you must have your daily fix of coffee or tea please bring this with you!
- You will be sleeping on thin woven mats on the floor, so a lightweight self-inflating mattress such as the Thermarest brand is recommended.
SAFETY: Adventure Tourism always has an element of risk, that’s why it’s called “Adventure” tourism. Risks are managed through a comprehensive assessment process to ensure they remain at an acceptable level. Your safety is important to us so we provide specific information on each of our adventure activities. These include health and fitness requirements, what to bring, and general information. This information will also be included in your booking itinerary or contact us directly.
For any questions about Manbush Trail Tour or to make a booking at the best possible rate, contact us on the form below, we are open 24 hours 7 days